How do you recognize a good moving box, how many do you actually need? Rent, buy or borrow? What do you look for when buying and what do they actually cost?
How do you get moving boxes?
There are several ways to get moving boxes.
- Borrow from friends. Make sure they are still sufficiently sturdy and not torn. The last thing you want is for the box to break while lugging.
- Renting is also an option. You then pay between €0.50 and €1.50 per box depending on the quality and supplier. This has the advantage of getting rid of the boxes quickly. The disadvantage is that you often have to bring them back soon, which means time pressure. In addition, some things you just want to leave in a box. Usually you pay a deposit that you only get back if you return the boxes undescribed, unpainted and untorn. The next problem is that you'll lose a lot of boxes during an eviction.
Moving Box Purchase
Buy Used: On marketplace, heeeeeeeeery many people offer moving boxes. What do you do with them after a move? If you drive by the seller, check all boxes carefully for possible damage. A small tear can quickly render the box unusable.
Buying new: moving boxes come in different shapes and sizes. From "budget" to "premium" and everything in between. Fortunately, the Consumer Association did a quicktest with boxes from different suppliers.
What should I pay attention to?
- How sturdy is the bottom? The last thing you want is for the whole mess to fall out of the box when it's just being lugged around.
- How sturdy are the handles? As these tear easily and then become very difficult to lift.
- Each box has a maximum number of pounds it can handle (it is often written on the box). If you do not know this, please check with the supplier.
- Nice that a box can handle 50 pounds, but can you lift it?
- Before you pick a box, try folding it in and out. There will come a time when you may have to put 100 of them together and take them apart.
How many moving boxes do I need?
Of course, the number of boxes you need will depend on the size of your home, how many people live there and how much stuff you have. On average, you can figure the following:
- 1 person: 20 pieces
- 2 people: 40 to 60 pieces
- Family with 2 children: 70 to 90
- Large households: between 90 and 150 units
Should you need advice on vacating your home? If you would like to find out before we get started, we can also help and advise you in purchasing the right number and quality of boxes.